Re: [tlug] Good binary distribution

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:00:44 -0700 (PDT)
Jake Morrison <jake_morrison@example.com> wrote:

> No, I am installing from a set of CDs. I can get a kernel onto
> the system (e.g. by putting the HD on another box or burning a CD)
> and compile it, then finish the install, but why? And with 2.2
> it only supports ext2, so I have to fix the disks later too.
> .... so I bailed on Debian.

> For a firewall, I prefer a minimal base install, with everything
> disabled out of the box.

For the above reasons, I personally prefer the most simplistic way of
installing it as I have said it before:
http://www.tlug.jp/ML/0309/msg00067.html

I think it's possible to do this from a linux cd (eg. knoppix, or some
rescue disk):
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-preparing.en.html#s-linux-upgrade
In your case, this is the way to go IMHO. This will get you a real bare
bones system, just what you want.