Re: [tlug] Good binary distribution

Quoth Botond Botyanszki <tlug@example.com>:

> "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
>
> > for a dedicated firewall. Seems to me that I can get Gentoo installed
> > with just the kernel, base system, OpenSSH, and iptables in 250M or so.
>
> My firewall started out like that. With less than 150 Mb. But let's not
> start a dick contest. Everybody wants a usable system.

Seems to me this is rather the opposite... "My firewall is smaller that yours!"
;)

Seriously, though, for a dedicated firewall, one of the greatest strides you
can make towards security is to prune it down to the absolute minimum. After
all, software that ain't installed can't be exploited. Removing compilers (Perl
included) is also a great idea. You are a coder. Think of all the fun you can
have with a C compiler. :)

-Josh