[tlug] 2.6 kernel (lazy man's question)

I haven't looked into this on google, just asking out of idle curiosity.

Since, as my friends know, I need a life. last night at about 1:00 am
decided to install the 2.6 kernel on Slack. Went in with no problems
save for a bit of carelessness on my part with my Netgear FA310TX card,
resulting in the need to add the correct tulip module.

So, feeling ambitious, I then put it in on my Arch distro. Arch uses
devfs which is marked as obsolete in the 2.6 kernel--they now use devpts.
(It's under file systems=>miscellaneous)

Upon booting, I found that no terminals would open in X.  (Tried rxvt
and xterm).

A quick look at the Arch forums solved the problem--one has to add to
/etc/fstab

none    /dev/pts   devpts   default   0  0

I'm just wondering for others using distros with the 2.6 kernel and
devfs, have they run into the same issue, or is this peculiar to Arch?

Again, a lazy man's question, asked out of idle curiosity on a quiet
day.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Look, I know this new guy's a dork,
but... Well, I have nothing to follow that. He's
pretty much just a dork.