RE: [tlug] System management software?

Just one workstation as console / image server.

> "dd" could take forever.  As an option, however, if I go for
> FAT, I can
> use "rsync" to clean things up, instead of "dd":  this would
> result in
> a more "vulnerable" filesystem (no permissions), but more easily
> cleaned -- this might result in more frequent maintenance, but likely
> more easy.  (If ntfs writes were "safe", things would be much
> easier --
> permissions locks to reduce abuse, and "rsync" to clean up
> anyway.)  As

Its impossible to really lock down an NT Workstation,  thats why I always
assign Local Admin right to all users.  In the securities industry, its
simply not acceptable to log out from an active system to perform emergency
maintenance ...

You realise that unless you have a sid changer, that you can get trouble
with the NT domain controller (if you need one).  In the past we used a
Netware system with 800 NT4 Workstation, and it didn't bother us. Also if
you only use local logins.

> an additional bit moving me to "rsync", XP and its ilk should
> (hopefully) fit in a 2GB partition, reducing the space we have to
> scour...

Looks like your simply in it for the fun of it.  I believe in using the
right tool for the job, so even though I like Linux for many things, Windows
is more suitable for others. If you target is to minimise your effort and
maximise results, then the right tool is Ghost.  But if you want to invest a
lot of time into it, and perhaps prepare a nice howto for other Linux users
- by all means go ahead.

One hint is to use Active Perl on Windows.    The O'Reilly Book "System
Management with Perl" is well worth its price, and allows you to centrally
administer systems and users for Linux, Mac and windows.  After rolling out
your image, you probably need to change Computer names, etc.  Perl does a
good job there.

Patrick