Re: [tlug] Weird font problem

And Thus Spake Rudolf Ammann <ammann@example.com> (on Mon, 22 Sep 2003
08:44:24 +0900):

> As literals, curly quotes, typographically correct apostrophes and a
> whole raft of other special characters are part of the Unicode (UTF-8)
> charset, and Moz/Firebird should handle them fine on any system if that
> charset is declared in the document head.

I tried that and the display was nothing but a long string of "boxes" like
on http://www.sgms-centre.com/fblinux.png.

> Some designers insist on typographically correct punctuation and, across
> platforms, their best bet are still decimal html entities, e.g. #8217
> for an apostrophe, #8220 for a left double quote and #8221 for a right
> double quote.

And yet their character codes are 0x92, 0x93 and 0x94 respectively. Aren't
extended characters in Unicode at least 2 bytes in length?

> None of the above actually addresses your problem, however. Have you
> tried xfstt?

No, but I might give it a whirl. Thanks for the pointer.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)