Re: [tlug] Redhat

Quoth Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com>:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 08:53:02AM -0400, jmglov wrote:
>
>> Quoth Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com>:
>>
>> > Core dumps schmore dumps--hey, it works, doesn't it?
>>
>> Actually, Scott, core dumps are usually a pretty good
>> indication that things *aren't* working... ;-p
>
>Yeah, what is a SIGSEGV?  Sheesh, all this tech talk.

SIGSEGV is the name of the Segmentation Violation signal, which
is what the OS sends when your program has been naughty and
attempted to twiddle bits outside of its own process space. If
not handled, it generates a core dump. It is in fact the most
common cause of core dumps.

-Josh

PS: I know this because I have read about such things, and seen
    this happen to *other* people's code... ;)