Re: [tlug] Redhat

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 04:47:42 -0700 (PDT)
Matt Gross <mattgross@example.com> wrote:

> Nonetheless, all this talk about RedHat makes them
> sound like they are to linux what micro$oft is to the
> software industry.  Why?  What are the major
> complaints about RH?
RedHat used to be good about 5-6 years ago. Back then, it gave you all the
flexibility, but they have greatly changed by trying to follow that other
OS where you can have server up after a few clicks. Stablility sucks to,
and they are dictating the Linux industry standard with their patched to
death distros.

> Are other distributions easier to work with?
Yes, once you configure them.

> Are they
> easier to configure?
No, but you only configure once, and not for every upgrade.

> Are they less bug-ridden?
yes.

> If
> so, what are they as I would like to give them a try.
You should try the community supported ones, e.g. Debian or Gentoo.

This ReadHat bashing topic pops up pretty often here on TLUG, if you can
access the archives, you will find a lot more posts about this.

--
B0Ti.