[tlug] trailing / and cp

when using bash2.05a on a certain box,
I get different results for these two commands:

cp -rf directory directory2
cp -rf directory/ directory2

The second line dumps the _contents_ of directory into directory2 ,
for disastrous results.

The problem is, on most machines that I use the two lines give
identical results (directory2/directory), so every now and
again I slip up and make a mess of directory2, when using
this one box above.
Is there anything I can do in .bash_profile that would
result in the two commands doing the same thing?

Thanks.

Tony Laszlo
http://www.issho.org/LaszloBlog