Re: [tlug] so big virus

Brett Robson <b-robson@example.com> wrote:

>> The So Big virus is doing very nicely, thank you very much.

I'll say! In sheer volume it's beating everything hands down. Yesterday
morning I had 149 due to it, either actual virus mails or bounces from
sites rejecting emails with my (forged) address. All but 6 were in my
procmail spamtrap, but I still had to empty it.

What pisses me off is the occasional personal message telling me I've
got a virus, usually with a few gratuitous expletives tossed in. Is it
my fault that people have my address in their rotten infected address
books.

>> But on the humorous side there seems to be a bug. We were confused
>> thinking the was a variant because it was getting through our virus
>> checking. We are getting email from it without the payload so it's
>> getting through virus software, very sleathy. We thought at first the
>> payload was being deleted by virus checkers but in fact it's not in the
>> originals.

I noticed that. Of today's batch (a mere 90 or so), only 5 had payloads.
Actually it's a bit hard to tell, because Monash plays hardball, passing
all incoming and outgoing emails through virus filters, and deleting
suspect attachments.

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298