[tlug] Email and Japanese

Even after getting KDE (and thus Kmail) running, I still can't get an email
client to work with kinput2. Here is what I have discovered so far:

If you go into the KDE control center > Locale and add Japanese as one of
the languages, both Evolution and Kmail will start up as a Japanese app
(with some or most of the menus in Japanese).

Of course I would rather the app itself remain in English, and just allow
reading and writing Japanese, so that is one issue.

With Mozilla, I was able to use the suggested script to make it work with
Japanese:

#!/bin/bash
XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2 LANGUAGE=ja_JP LC_CTYPE=ja_JP LC_ALL=ja_JP ${1+"$@"}

For example, naming this script /usr/bin/scriptx/j I was able to change the
execute command in the properties of the Mozilla icon to add

/usr/bin/scriptx/j

before the Mozilla execute command. That worked fine.

For Evolution, however, it seems to have no effect.

For Kmail the problem is different. When I try to launch Kmail with this
script an error dialog reports:

    KDEInit cold not launch /usr/bin/scriptx/j

Maybe it would work if I could run that script. Can anybody think of why
this would be a problem with KDEInit?

Meanwhile, Apple has refused for the second time to repair my new PB17",
which has a warped case and a dead/flickering pixel near the center. I am
really upset at them!

doug