Re: [tlug] Unicode

On 7/16/2003, "Tobias Diedrich" <ranma@example.com> wrote:

>Because Unicode was recently discussed here I think these two links
>I just found might be interesting:
>http://tronweb.super-nova.co.jp/characcodehist.html
>http://tronweb.super-nova.co.jp/unicoderevisited.html

Some of this information is useful, and the critiques of Unicode are not
unfounded. I am personally especially concerned with the sorting problems
that are mentioned.

But readers of these articles should be aware of the fact that the writer
of the article is from the TRON project, which has long held animosity and
disdain for anything that comes outside that project. What many people do
not know about TRON is the fact that it has never been self-supporting (in
the open way of Linux, or in the closed way of Windows). It is the project
of some twenty years of huge expense of Japanese taxpayer's money through
the usage of Monbusho funds on the part of Tokyo University. Although they
now (no doubt influenced by the success of Linux and Open source) claim
openness, they for a long time held their code in great secrecy.
Participants in TRON, led by their boss, Ken Sakamura, trash everything
that wasn't made by them.

Chuck

Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com>
Toyo Gakuen University