RE: [tlug] Using Linux for the desktop

 > Graham Street <gpstreet@example.com>
 > Date:
 > Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:51:24 +0100 (BST)

 > 2) Windows does come with applications that have
 > become industry standard ie) office, word, excel,
 > powerpoint. Do you know if there site that matches
 > current microsoft products with a Linux equivalent ?
 > If not do you know an equivalent application for
 > word, Excel etc etc

Openoffice (www.openoffice.org) is very capable in rendering and editing
M$ office files.
Some extra functions come in the commercial version "Staroffice" from Sun.

If you need to run M$ office under Linux, there is a commercial product
"Crossover" from Codeweavers, which claims to support also Lotus Notes,
or you can try to run it under Wine (do not know how good the chance of
success is)

BTW, in a similar case as yours, I succeeded to install SuSE Linux from
an external CD-RW drive via USB.

Thomas Piekenbrock