[tlug] mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

Hello,

On RH8.0 my cdrom stopped functioning with a "mount: /dev/cdrom" is not a
valid block device error message.

To make sure that my system is finding your cdrom drive when it boots.
I did dmesg | less which showed me that it was "hdc: SONY CD-RW CRX140E,
ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive", but also gave me a "hdc: driver not present"
message.

Why? I need SCSI-emulation to burn a CD with a burner don't I?  How can I
check if I have that?  How can I configure it?

(somewhat of a newby, haven't ever complied a kernel)

I am guessing from the following and the info below that for some reason
SCSI-emulation has been turned off or removed. But I really am not sure.
Any help please (even if just to let me know I am really really off-track)?

/sbin/lsmod | grep cd
ide-cd 30632 0
cdrom 30208 0 [sr_mod ide-cd]
ehci-hcd 15464 0 (unused)
usbcore 69664 1 [usb-storage hid usb-uhci ehci-hcd usb-ohci]

/sbin/lsmod | grep ide
ide-cd                 30632   0
cdrom                  30208   0 [sr_mod ide-cd]

******the following was found in my searches *********
As
suggested, you could use SCSI-emulation, which is necessary for burning CDs
with a burner, but not necessary for read-only drives. It's simpler to
stick with the IDE CD driver.

The source of your "driver not present" error message is the ide_open()
function in /usr/src/linux/drivers/ide/ide.c.  Even if you don't know C,
it's not too hard to understand:

static int ide_open (struct inode * inode, struct file * filp)
{
ide_drive_t *drive;
if (drive->driver == NULL) {
if (drive->media == ide_disk)
(void) request_module("ide-disk");
if (drive->scsi)
(void) request_module("ide-scsi");
if (drive->media == ide_cdrom)
(void) request_module("ide-cd");
if (drive->media == ide_tape)
(void) request_module("ide-tape");
if (drive->media == ide_floppy)
(void) request_module("ide-floppy");
}

--
Shawn

Happily using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/