Re: [tlug] apache2 setup and japanese charset

--- David Oftedal <david@example.com> wrote:

> >in my httpd.conf I have shift_jis as my defaultcharset
> >add charset shift_jis is also included
> >

> How about trying Unicode? I hear it lacks a lot of kanji,
> but for the average gaijin it should be OK, shuoldn't it?

Actually, Unicode has more Kanji than any other character set
(over 70,000), and includes all the Kanji from Japanese
standard character sets.

See http://www.unicode.org/faq/han_cjk.html#0

Some Japanese don't like Unicode because they hold a very rigid
understanding about the "proper" way to write various Kanji.
In fact, there are many minor variations in the way characters
are written, inside the range of Japanese usage or across Chinese,
Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese usage. But they are all the same
character in Unicode. Generally speaking, the solution is simply
to use a Japanese font for Japanese users.

Unicode is a good idea, but requires that the browsers be
relatively new (newer than 4.0).

Jake