Re: [tlug] Re: Absurd DNS failures

"Stephen Lee" <sl@example.com> tried to help me:

> > When dialled up from Linux, the nslookup command automatically contacts my
> > ISP's DNS servers and resolves names like www.yahoo.co.uk, www.yahoo.co.jp,
> > and www.att.com.  But it fails with names like www.yahoo.com -- it says that
> > it cannot reach any name servers.  This has been reproduced a dozen times
> > one day and a dozen times the next day.
>
> Are you using any firewall in Linux?  Maybe you've blocked TCP queries?

At first I was using the default SuSE 8.1 configuration, which blocks most
incoming connections, but which allows incoming UDP from port 53 of my ISP's
DNS servers.  After the absurd behavior (especially after getting results
for www.asia.microsoft.com but not for plain microsoft.com), I opened it up
a bit, using the command line:
  # iptables -I INPUT -p udp --sport 53 -j ACCEPT
  # iptables -I OUTPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
  # iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --sport 53 -j ACCEPT
  # iptables -I OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
There was no difference in the result.

> Maybe it is something like wrong MTU, or you're using ECN?

How could this get success for www.asia.microsoft.com but timeouts for plain
microsoft.com?

I could even open Microsoft's main page in Konqueror by typing
http://207.46.whatever.was from the result of nslookup
www.asia.microsoft.com.

By the way, in my office today I ran nslookup on a different Linux system
connected via a LAN and a router (not broadband but similar).  Again
www.asia.microsoft.com came out as CNAME records for plain microsoft.com.
But then plain microsoft.com didn't fail, it came out as CNAME records for
some Akamai servers (something.akadns.com).  Same with Yahoo, www.yahoo.com
came out as CNAME records for something.akadns.com.

So now it seems that the DNS queries from my home Linux system through
dialup are failing only when the authority comes from Akamai.  This is still
incredibly strange.

"David Oftedal" <david@example.com> suggested:

> Just try defining some DNSes manually.

I did.  I manually defined my ISP's DNS servers (165.76.60.2 and
165.76.56.2) and got the absurd results already stated.

"Mike FABIAN" <mfabian@example.com> wrote:

> Don't know, but both "nslookup www.yahoo.com" and "nslookup
> microsoft.com" work for me on SuSE 8.2.

Did you try it though dialup, through a modem on your own machine?  Or only
in a more normal corporate setting?

> I guess it's some configuration issue.

Yeah no doubt, but what could it be, how could the results be this
combination of success and failure?