Re: [tlug] Zaurus suggestions

Hi Jim,

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 16:35, Jim Breen wrote:
> OK, I'll look out for a SL-750 or later. It's always the way - the model
> you want is the one released 6 months after you buy something.

Definitely go for the 760. I have had a 700 for 2 months now (like 3
weeks before they released the new ones, groan...). The 750 is basically
the same thing with an ugly black cover and the new processor (same
speed, no bug). The 760 has expanded memory and the good battery. The 4
hour battery life was never a huge problem because I had it in suspend
mode when I wasn't using it, but it never hurts to have more.

> Is there anything like a kterm? Can you run a shell?

I haven't seen a kterm, but on the other hand I've never seen anything
other than english in my shell. Bash is the standard shell for users and
there's a cut down one for root. In the end, it's just a little linux
box with all the basic services you'd expect. Almost all the major tools
you use on your desktop are available in one form or another. Examples?
I have samba server, nmap, nessus, vnc server, nethack, ssh server &
client and a number of others. It's also very hackable. Once I have my
"wireless anywhere" card this is going to be the indispensable tool.

In any case, if anyone on the list takes the plunge and needs some help
with English conversion, hacking or just setting it up, drop me a line.
I'd love to give you a hand.

Neil