[tlug] Re: Tweaking the kernel

Dan Lindfield wrote:

> This is getting very interesting. The cause of my frustration with the
> notebook's speed under MDK9.1 is that I have 256Mb of RAM backed by
> 512Kb of L2 cache. Both of which should ensure good performance (When I

Do you have a K6-2 or a K6-2+ ?
If you have the former, you may want to check if your cacheable area is
big enough for that much ram. The K6-2+ has a builtin 2nd level cache
which supports up to 4GB, but for onboard 2nd level cache the limits may
vary and may be quiet low.
If your system boots a lot faster when you pass mem=128M or mem=64M on the
kernel command line, then you have a cacheable area problem.
The only thing you can do then is to use the uncached memory as swap.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits