RE: [tlug] Can't install RH 8 to Seagate Barracuda

I don't think this problem is related to the hard disk, but more with the
controller and the kernel.  If this thing has a some sort of IDE Raid system
as you indicate, than it is probably pretending to be a SCSI controller of
sorts.  In that case you may have to load the specific driver, before
proceding with the install.  So only if you have the correct kernel module
can fdisk and others recognise the disk geometry. It may also be related to
some sort of kernel parameter that you have to pass at the isolinux boot
prompt.

Also, if it is raid than you will not refer to the disks as /dev/hda but
rather something like /dev/ida/c0d0p1.

A basic testing procedure is also, to use a third disk (like old desktop
disk 20G) and put it in, and do the same operation as with the baracuda.

Patrick