Re: [tlug] RH 8.0 installation problem: SCSI CD driver won't load

On Friday, June 13, 2003, at 04:32 PM, <acmuller@example.com> wrote:

> On 6/13/2003, "Jean-Christian Imbeault" <jc@example.com> wrote:
>
>> I really do need to find a way to install Linux (RH) on this type of
>> machines as I have 8 of them just lying  around doing nothing! They do
>> have RH 7.1 installed on them so obviously someone in the past found a
>> way of installing RH ... I just can't figure out how short of putting
>> in
>> another HD and using that to install from.
>
> Now that you mentioned this, I did install RH 8 to a ThinkPad 240 from
> the
> hard drive (but the same one, not a separate one) when I couldn't find
> Linux drivers for the external SCSI hard drive. At that time the laptop
> still had Windoze on it, so I made a sector large enough for the three
> image files, copied them to it, and then just selected "install from
> images
> on hard drive" (or whatever it's called), and installed without any
> problems.
Another alternative is to do a net install using FTP or HTTP (Forget
which one I did) - You just copy the proper image to a boot floppy from
the CD and load the images to a local network server.
Seemed to go quite fast on a local network when I did it about a year
ago.  NFS is probably an option, too.
Cheers,
Jim

PS - Doing an install on Friday the 13th?? Brave soul.  ;-)