Re: [tlug] ISP in Kanagawa

Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc@example.com> wrote:
> Someone had mentioned YahooBB as one possible ISP choice.
>
> Can anyone tell me if the modem they supply has any
> firewalling/routing/NATing capabilities? Or is it just a plain modem?
>
> I tried asking one of those people hawking their service at the local
> train station but they didn't know and calling the support line (and my
> poor japanese) didn't get me very far ;)

It is a router if you sign up for the most expensive course (12M ADSL +
wireless LAN), just a plain modem for the rest.

YahooBB is the cheapest, and you can get 2 to 3 months' free service
(with free long distance call) too.  But don't expect much service but
scripted technical support from them.  In my experience though, once
you're set up it is pretty much trouble-free.

You can check how far you are from the closest Exchange at this web
page (For NTT East and in Japanese):

http://www.ntt-east.co.jp/line-info/

This is Yahoo BB's site that let you search the average achieved speed
by area.  You can see how much you can expect to get from them.

http://ybbcustomer.bbtec.net/ybb/SpeedYahoo/portspeed.jsp

Stephen