Re: [tlug] Re: 'Postfix' as SMTP AUTH Client

Hi Dennis,

--- Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it makes
> any sense at all to
> require users who are already connected to the ISP
> to authenticate
> themselves in this way to the mailserver?  I don't
> quite see the point,
> myself, but I may just be missing something obvious
> (again).

perhaps:
- your identity at this mailserver is determined
(security)
- easier to track spammers inside their own network?
- you can use this mailserver even when you are
connected to a different isp (convenience)
- they don't know how to set it up differently ;)

In general, SMTP AUTH is IMHO a good thing. But I
don't see a serious reason why not enabling both,
authentication by IP/network + SMTP AUTH for roaming
users...

Henning