Re: [OT] Terrific - was: [tlug] email programs

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 11:23, Jim O'Connell wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2003 00:15:00 -0400
> John Limouze <jmanjiro@example.com> wrote:
> Subject: Re: [OT] Terrific - was: [tlug] email programs

> > First, an introduction.  I don't know if that's usually done, this is my

Yes, it is.  Here, at least.

> > that I am aware of the principles behind this list and have no intention
> > to start begging for anything.

We don't mind begging so much, especially if it's accompanied by cash
payment ;-)  It's when people demand things that the trouble starts :-)

> > internet access.  I have an  external ISDN TA that the people at NTT and
> > SuSE support (my distro) tell me won't work because there are no
> > drivers.

Is it a USB device, or does it connect to your serial port?  Any external
TA that connects to your serial port looks to the system like an external
modem, which means that as long as it takes AT commands (according
to what you wrote further on, it does), it should work if you find a good
init string for it.  If you have no idea what to use, something as simple
as ATZ may do it.

> Find the Macintosh (9.x) section of the TA's manual - I remember finding
> the answer there, when the Windows setup stuff was unhelpful.

That's a good idea.  The Mac section may contain an init string, in case
you're using FreePPP, which lets (requires???) you to give it one.
Another thing you can try is looking at the Windows .inf file on the
CD (it's an ASCII file) and see what init string it uses.

> > wvdial and kppp it stalls out waiting for an OK response to the initial
> > AT command.

Does the TA have any LEDs?  If so, which ones light up when you
try to dial?

> > Kinternet tells me it's connected to an IP address that I
> > later saw listed as an example in one of the Kinternet config files.

Coincidence, or did you perhaps inadvertantly configure it with that
IP as static?

> > the web for pages talking both about linux and my TA, an NTT INSmate
> > V30slim.  To the best of my marginal reading ability, nobody else had
> > successfully gotten a dial-up connection from it yet either.

Go here:

http://www.linet.gr.jp/~manabe/PPxP/message/

and search for v30.  There's a long thread about it, and at
least one of the people has it working.  You'll find init strings
and more.  The first occurrence of v30 is in a post that shows
someone's working config.  Try that one first :-)

I'm going to steer clear of the OT part :-)

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Q
GPG key ID: ACC46EF9 (E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9)