Re: [tlug] pam(?) errors

On Thu, 22 May 2003 08:05:39 -0400
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

> Quoth Botond Botyanszki (Wed 2003-05-21 11:51:06PM +0900):
>
> > Actually I compared this to my other machine's (which didn't log these
> > errors) pam configs, and they were identical. This machine had libpam
> > v0.72, so I upgraded to 0.76 and the logs started appearing, so I
> > guess it't my library not the configs.
> > This is debian unstable, so I'm not surprised, just wondering what the
> > problem might be. Maybe I should downgrade...
>
> Strange...
>
> Do you get the "ssh(pam_unix)" errors every time you login with ssh?
> What about the proftpd ones? Is there any correlation between the
> occurances of the error messages and you using sshd and proftpd?

Ssh gives the error(on the server side) just before asking for the
password or the password for the ssh key, but I can log in just fine with
both methods.
With proftpd the error comes after I issue the first command (ls), it does
nothing weird during the login process. If I "quit" right after logging in
(without doing anything), the error doesn't show up.

Here is my /etc/pam.d/ssh

auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_unix.so
auth       required     pam_env.so # [1]

account    required     pam_unix.so

session    required     pam_unix.so
session    optional     pam_motd.so # [1]
session    optional     pam_mail.so standard noenv # [1]
session    required     pam_limits.so

password   required     pam_unix.so md5

> The only other thing to note is that the ssh errors are getting spit out
> by the pam_unix.so PAM module. Does Debian still use pam_unix over
> pam_stack? Try replacing the:

Debian doesn't have pam_stack. I even did an `apt-file search` to see if
it's in some other package but didn't find anything.