Re: [tlug] file permissions

I see it's time for this week's rant on thread hijacking.
Please don't.  It's bad netiquette and a PITA for people with
threaded MUAs (probably most of us) and people browsing
threaded archives.  If you have a new subject to write about,
don't be lazy and hijack an existing thread and change the subject.
Please start a new thread.

Why do we have to keep telling people this over and over
and over?  And so often?

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 14:53, James Cluff wrote:

> So if I want that user to not be able to read anything on the entire
> server, or to write anything anywhere else on the server

A casual google revealed three ways to do this.   The
cleanest is probably this one:

 http://www.sublimation.org/scponly/

> securely.  Also what are you opinions about the default read almost
> everything to everyone concept which seems inherently wrong.

My opinion is that since I like my system to work, and it certainly
wouldn't if I made the whole thing readable only by root, the
way things are now is inherently right.

Now, you could, with a lot of work, tighten readability so that
certain public files were readable only by certain userids (usually
system userids) that need to access them, but on most systems there
is no point in doing so, and you would be pretty much relegated to
hand-upgrading the system from source after that, since your package
manager and vendor packages would not respect any such changes
made by you.  To be manageable, you'd have to make your own distro
that did it that way.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Q
GPG key ID: ACC46EF9 (E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9)