Re: [tlug] New Server

On Wed, 21 May 2003 17:05:38 +0900
xian <ccd@example.com> wrote:
Subject: [tlug] New Server
> Hey folks,
>
> Just got a new server: Digital Prioris XL Server 5100. I'm happy! But... I
> kinda don't know jack about it, or what I'm going to do with it. It's already
> running Slack ;) (It's a... well, I'm the third person to own it).
>
> Comments? Suggestions? Any interesting anectdotes about this or a similar box?

If you get another, they can make nice end tables for next to your sofa - should keep the place warm in winter, too. ;-)

> I'm planning on setting it up as a proxy/firewall when I get back to the
> states and get some cable hookup, but for now, it's just a toy.

Are you sure you want to have your firewall running all the time on a box that draws 450 watts of power?  That's gonna get expensive.
I'd find something else to do with it that doesn't require it being on all of the time. (Or, keep it running somewhere where you don't have to pay for the power.)
Of course, you could have it be a mail/web/file server, too, to better justify the expense of running it.

Cheers,
Jim

> -X

Jim O'Connell