Re: [tlug] hardware

"Jim O'Connell" <oconnell@example.com> wrote:
> As to some of the other comments, I agree with the comment on memory
> - buy a good name and then test it. (not just POST - see
> http://www.wirefarm.com/archives/000132.html#000132 ) Buggy memory seems to
> be the norm in the typical DIY-Street former-OEM bubblewrap pack.  Pay a bit
> more and get something you can trust, or at least easily return.

Yes, memtest86 is so good, that one of the sleazy store clerk told me
not to trust it 'cos they get 'false' returns because of it.
Recommended to be one of the first thing you run even before you install
your OS -- after all, you don't want a corrupted OS by installing with
buggy memory.

> > I can easily imagine that I don't need to bug anybody here, and that I'd
> > be better off talking to somebody in a shop. OK, which shop (and perhaps
> > also which person in that shop)? Or of course, an URL or three would be
> > welcome.
> Com/3 on DIY street is where I wind up going back to - they usually have a
> decent selection of interesting stuff.

So is Wonder City opposite of them.

I've had to repair stuff I buy from either several times -- mostly
because I'm cheap and buy cheap stuff.  I have had no problem with them
about stuff under warranty -- but keep in mind once that's gone out you
don't get any help from them.

If it matters, T-Zone on DIY street takes credit cards with no penalty
(oops, should say that do not give 'cash discounts').

Stephen