[tlug] Re: hardware

Peter Evans <peter@example.com> wrote:
> Righty-ho, I'm all ready to go to Akihabara and buy a motherboard, CPU,
> memory card, hard drive, video card and other odds and sods to put them
> in a computer on which I shall attempt to install Linux.
>
> (No I'm not going to buy a ready-made computer. Yes, that would cost
> less; but I would have to pay for it, whereas my employer will reimburse
> me for components, within reason.)

Does your company's reason allow you to get reimbursed for an Opteron?
I'd get one (heck, a pair) right now if somebody would pay for it :-)

Without a budget it is hard to recommend anything.  Do you have a
preference towards Intel or AMD?  What are you going to use the PC for?

My one recommendation is to NOT buy the cheapest RAM you can find,
unless you are prepared to test it in a few days and perhaps make
several trips to exchange them until you find a stick that works.

In a blazingly lame effort to bring this back on-topic, I'd suggest that
you can be the first one on the list to run linux on AMD64...

Stephen