[tlug] Japanese LaTeX problems

   Hello all.  I'm wondering if anyone here is using LaTeX to typeset their
Japanese documents.  I've been trying in vain to get it to work on my system.
I've read a lot of bits and pieces searching for info and have thoroughly
confused myself.  I don't understand the relationship between the various
LaTeX programs (latex, jlatex, platex) and the dvi side of things.  There are
a lot of mentions of the difference between dvips and dvi2ps (NTT vs. ascii
something?).
   Does anyone have any suggestions for introductory documentation for using
Japanese with LaTeX and Emacs?  It would be greatly appreciated.

   In case there are any LaTeXperts in the crowd, my specific problem is
described below.

   Thank you in advance for any help you're able to provide.

   Kris Bergstrom

I was previously getting error messages about a lack of fonts and after some
searching found the mling/nttsub/dmj* series of fonts and installed them.  I
ran the mktexlsr command and it seemed to work.  Whereas before xdvi just gave
me mojibake for the Japanese characters in my file, xdvi now crashes with the
error "xdvi.bin: draw_part: unknown op-code 129 in virtual font dmjsy12"