Re: [tlug] BSD vs BSD vs Linux

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 01:20:19PM +0700, Jonathan Q wrote:
<snip>

> I don't know many people who have dropped Linux entirely for BSD
> (one at least; maybe two).  That one has not, AFAIK, come back.
> Most people switch out of curiosity, or preference for BSD-style
> init scripts (many of them came from BSD backgrounds anyway)

Or just get bored waiting for the ~30MB kernel sources to download.

just wanted to add a little bit, I personally use Linux on newer machines,
laptops and machines I have funny hardware in (odd USB dongles etc). The
reason being that Linux hardware support covers a much wider selection.
Linux has also (2.5) gained support for speedstep and other neat things on
newer chipsets. Then I use OpenBSD on machines where I care about security a
lot more (firewalls/gateways etc) and the hardware is simple and static.

As other people have said it is usually not which people prefer, but which
people prefer in situation x.

Tim.

--
"ergo it is easier to drag sheep downhill" - Applied Ergonomics Magasine
Tim Hurman - Email: kano at kano.org.uk - Phone: Yeah right.