Re: [tlug] Big5 Vs. Unicode Vs. Netscape 4.x Vs. deadline

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 00:42, Katsuhiko Momoi wrote:

> http://wp.netscape.com/eng/intl/basics.html#setup

This is a very useful page, thanks for the link, and thanks to
everyone who replied.

The problem is now pretty much resolved, except for one issue:
When trying to do Chinese input in Netscape 4 (including
Chinese version 4.51), input to fields in forms all come up as question
marks, although everything else on the page is displayed correctly
in Unicode.  The OS is English Windows XP, with East Asian language
support and input methods for PRC, Taiwan, and Hong Kong installed.

That happens on both cut-and-paste and direct Chinese input, and
it doesn't seem to matter if the page is in UTF-8 or Big5.  We don't have
a Chinese Windows system to try it out on, so I don't know if that would
help or not.

Of course, it all Just Works in Konqueror and AFAICT everything else.
I'd love to tell them to just use KDE on Debian and all their problems
will go away, but I bet that wouldn't fly :-)

I haven't tried it in Netscape 4 for Linux, but I may download one (if they
are still available, just for comparison's sake).

Thanks again to all,

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Q
GPG key ID: ACC46EF9 (E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9)