Re: [tlug] Mail server with Linux

Jonathan,

Thanks for the response.

>> their "from" headers mangled.  I can't elaborate but suffice it to say
>> I'm still looking for that golden grail of a "properly" configured
>> SMTP/POP3 server.
>
> If you can't elaborate, it's kind of hard to help you.

True.  Sorry.  It's kind of hard to explain.  Basically, I have an app.
that downloads from a POP3 account on the server.  The app. processes
the contents of the email, then sends out automatic replies to the
sender.  With the RHL 8.0 test server I installed, sometimes the sender
address field is blank, or garbled.  Since there's no such problem with
the RHL 5.0 machine, I assume it's something about the RHL 8.0 machine.

Maybe there're bugs in RHL 8.0.  Maybe I didn't configure POP
correctly.  I don't know.  I've been losing my hair on this problem for
the past couple of weeks.  I'd like to make sure that I'm building the
RHL 8.0 mail server correctly.  I followed the instructions in the book
I have carefully, but it's still an introductory book and I may be
missing something.  So, I guess a better book would help.

>> 1)  Can anyone recommend a good book (preferably English) on how to
>> build a mail server with Linux?
>
> What SMTP server are you running?  Sendmail? Postfix? Exim?  That
> matters a lot - any docs you read or book you buy will be specific
> to that server.  I would recommend Exim.  Others will recommend
> Postfix.  Almost all will tell you that either is preferable to
> Sendmail,
> esp. if you're fairly new to *nix.

Sendmail.  For now I'd like to see what I can do with it.  I haven't
yet dished out the cash to get the Costales book -- maybe later.  A
"Sendmail for Dummies" would do for now.

>> 2)  Does anyone know if it's possible or advisable to try upgrading
>> RHL
>> 5.0 to 7.3, using the Linux install program (according to the
>
> Possible?  Yes.  Advisable?  No.  I would assume that any box
> running RH 5.0 today was owned and would do a scorched-earth
> install.  Trust nothing, format everything.

Point well taken.  Since the thing's behind our firewall, I trust that
it's still free from Cuckoo's eggs.  But I'd like to put the thing to
rest as soon as I get a new one up and running.  I thought I did with
the RHL 8.0 box, but not yet.

> You might also want to look into Debian.  Once you learn it,
> it's a lot easier to admin than RH, IMO.  And it will correctly
> set up your mail server (defaults to Exim) as part of the install
> process :-)
> If you have no Debian experience, I recommend getting someone who
> does to do the install with you and show you the ropes.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I hope to look into Debian and other
distros someday.  Actually, the distro that's got me interested right
now is Plamo Linux -- it came free with this issue of Nikkei Linux.
Maybe I can make something out of my old Pentium 133 box using Plamo...

Yours,

Raymond
Tokyo