Re: [tlug] Read/write japanese

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:12:12PM +0200, Cristiano Paris wrote:
> Hi everyone,

> Hope I'm the right place. I'm an active member of the Linux User Group
> here in Rome and I think is important for LUGs to cooperate.
>
> I've a problem. This year I've started studying japanese and I want to
> read/write japanese characters on my Linux box. I'm running a Gentoo
> distro and I've installed canna+kinput2+kterm.
>
> Kterm seems to correctly connect to the canna/kinput2 subsystem and
> pop up with the kanji window. Anyway after pressing space I expect to
> see kanji on my commend line. Instead a strange sequence of plain ASCII
> characters appear. I think they are coded kanji ideograms so the problem
> maybe in a misconfiguration of kterm kanji font.

Gentoo did have some problems with kterm.  I'm going to suggest taking a
look at my page, which has a Gentoo section (though it's a bit dated as
these days I'm using FreeBSD almost exclusively).

The page is at

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

See if any of it helps (I know you did have to add something to my usual
calling of a terminal to get it to work. I have a feeling this may be in
your LC_CTYPES variable, but don't know enough about the whole method of
Japanese input to give you a confident answer.)

Another thought, rather than Kterm, is using either mlterm or rxvt both
of which are in portage. Also, be sure to use, when installing either,
the USE variable CJK.  You can call that from the command line if you
don't feel like editing your make.conf, but I'm afraid I've forgotten
the exact syntax--maybe
USE="cjk" emerge rxvt

(Someone please confirm or correct that please).

Hope that at least some of this rather long winded email, as I
procrastinate doing some chores, helps.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: Death is your art. You make it with your hands day after
day. That final gasp, that look of peace. And part of you is
desperate to know: What's it like? Where does it lead you? And
now you see, that's the secret. Not the punch you didn't throw or
the kicks you didn't land. She really wanted it. Every Slayer has
a death wish. Even you.