Re: [tlug] Re: Share CD burner on Samba?

And Thus Spake Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> (on Wed, 2 Apr 2003 21:17:52
+0700):

> Specifically, why not?  Granted, I have no tried sharing a burner over the
> network from a Windows box, but they have no problem with sharing ordinary
> CDROM drives over the network.  So, I take it you're saying it's only the
> burner-sharing part that doesn't work?

Precisely, unless you want to use the dreaded DirectCD (yuk) technique which
is basically packet mode writing.

In "normal" mode, burners know nothing of filesystems and just spew a
constant stream of data to the disc. The software has to access the device
node directly, not the mount point which serves as the root of the
filesystem on the disc.

Similarly, from a Windows point of view, burning software accesses the drive
directly, not by its filesystem drive letter (E: or whatever), which is why
sharing that drive letter is pointless.

What you *can* do is just the opposite. Shove the CD burner in the Linux
box, share a directory over the network using Samba, get people to dump into
it what they want burned on a CD and then create a file called "burn.now",
have a daemon running on the Linux box which waits for "burn.now" to be
created and then deletes it, runs mkisofs on the shared directory, then
invokes cdrecord on the ISO image created.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683