Re: [tlug] Share CD burner on Samba?

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 22:30, Jonathan Q wrote:
> It seems like this ought to be possible, and googling has yielded a certain
> amount of circumstantial evidence that it is, but nothing as concrete as a
> "Yes, here's how it's done."
>
> I currently have it it set up as a Samba share and want to map it as a network
> drive on Windows XP & 2000 clients to use for installing software over the
> network (not all of our workstations have CDROM drives) and also for burning
> software.  However, when I tried mapping it as a network drive on one XP
> client, the client saw it as an NFTS drive with no files.  In fact, there was
> a music CD in the drive at the time.

What about making a little CGI program that runs CDRecord?  The web
admin program that I use has one that lets you burn ISOs on that drive
from anywhere on the network.  AFAIK, it won't make the ISO for you, but
it's damn handy.  (I literally burned Knoppix the other day from my
iPaq. Really.  My grilf was using the PC and I walked over, popped in a
blank, then went back to the couch and started it burning.)
I think if you try to use the CD as a local drive with whatever Windows
CD burning soft you have, you will quickly amass a really great coaster
collection, as it wouldn't be expecting a network between it and the
drive.

I don't think it would be too difficult to make a CGI program that would
read a Samba share, check the file sizes, make an ISO and burn it to a
waiting disk.  Could be a cool little program to have around.

Cheers,
Jim