Re: [tlug] bash question

Josh Glover wrote:

> Sorry to say this, JC, but this is a severe case of lack-of-RTFMing-before-
> posting.

No, it was not for lack of RTFM'ing. I was for lack of spotting the
semi-colon. What kind of a programming language makes if a separate
statement from the then part?

Seriously, I did RTFM and Google and even have a great book on shell
scripting. I just don't *do* shell scripting and figured my problem was
in how I was using the comparison operator.

It was a simple typo, which made it even more difficult for me to spot.

> A simple Google search would have turned up both of these excellent documents
> on Bash scripting:

Could you post these links again as they didn't make it through in your
first post.

> Please do your homework in the future.

Not start a flame war, but didn't we just get a sed question that was
answered by many people with many different solution with nobody saying
"man sed or do some Googling".

<rant>
I've gotten used to the level of bitterness on this list so I *do*
research my own questions before I post. Trust me, tlug is not the first
thing I try.

Some people find some the answers to some questions posted just *so*
obvious that they assume the poster didn't do any research on his own.
Just because the answer is obvious to someone doesn't mean it was
obvious to the poster. Of course the answer is obvious the expert ...
but not to the newbie.

Some people just get some parts (or maybe all) parts of Linux and don't
quite get some (or none) of the other parts. For all we know I could be
the world's greatest Lisp programmer but just not be able to write a
single line of bash script because I just can't get the language. (Not
that I was ever very good at Lisp either ;)

This was not directed at Josh; I just wanted to point out that there is
no correlation with how easy the answer to a question appears to you and
the amount of work the person who posted the question put into finding
the answer on his own.
</rant>

Jc