Re: [tlug] using a cross-cable

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 06:12:30PM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> I couldn't find an answer to this on the web.
>
> Is it possible to network two Linux machine directly without a hub if I
> use a cross-cable?
>
> I put together a cross-cable (at least my tester says it's a
> cross-cable. I've never made a cable before so I am assuming a cross
> cable just mean all the wires are reversed ...) and tried networking two
> Linux boxes but the ethernet cards don't light up when I plug the cable
> in. However if I use two straight cables and a hub the machines network
> fine ...

As the cabling howto (don't remember where it is) says, test the cable.
Swear a lot. Crimp again.

I'm assuming you already looked up how to do a crossover--it's change 1
and 3 and 2 and 6 IIRC. The thing is, even when a cable tester shows
that a cable is working, it doesn't always work.  Even when I was
crimping a lot of cable, I would say a good 25 percent of them didn't
work on the first shot, and out of that 25 percent, probably 10 percent
were shown, by a cable tester, to be good.  So, no special procedure,
you might simply have to try a few times.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: The quick draw is about more than speed. It's also
about pointing the stake the right way. And there can be splinter
issues.