Re: [tlug] using a cross-cable

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 06:12:30PM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> Is it possible to network two Linux machine directly without a hub if I
> use a cross-cable?

Yes.  (Although it sometimes confuses automatic link
negotiation schmes.)

> I put together a cross-cable (at least my tester says it's a
> cross-cable. I've never made a cable before so I am assuming a cross
> cable just mean all the wires are reversed ...) and tried networking two

No.  You should be able to find the correct pinout on the web.
Basically you want to swap the two signal pairs (1/2 and 3/6).
  connector 1    connector 2
  1              3
  2              6
  3              1
  6              2

--
Jim Tittsler                                         GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/