Re: [tlug] Bad blocks on HD found during RH install

Botond Botyanszki wrote:

> If the installer is that dumb, then you shoud get on a console and do the
> thing manually.

It is pretty dumb isn't it? Kind of surprising ... I did some more
checking and the error printed out on the console is:

status: 0x51 {Driveready SeekComplete Error}
error:  0x40 {Unrecoverrable Error}

Why can't the installer just mark the block as bad and keep going? If
this the "nromal" behaviour of the RH installer, then it is *severly*
lacking ...

 > Learn to use fdisk and mkfs.*

Is all the functionality I need available on one of the installer consoles?

If so do you recommend doing this before the installer starts looking
for partitions? I.e. just before the partition menu, manually create all
the partitions with fdisk, then create the fs with mkfs (I'm assuming
that both fdisk and mkfs (ext3) is available in the console), and then
let the installer resume and just tell it to use the existing partitions?

 > Meanwhile, you should start thinking about buying a new drive.

You think one bad block means I should trash the drive? I tought a
couple of bad blocks are normal ...

Thanks,

Jc