Re: [tlug] How do recover from a re-format?

A. Sajjad Zaidi wrote:

> Not necessarily. If he is lucky and the installer didn't do a format, he
> could try rebuilding the partition table by hand.

No format. Just lost the partition table (I think and hope).

> You have to try to remember how big each partition was and in which
> order it appeared. Start with the 1st one. Create the partition and try
> to mount it. You should be successful if you got the size correct. Else,
> change the size and try again.

I'll try but this is an 80Gb drive with about 8 partitions, 3 of them I
can mount ... hda1 is / hda2 is /boot and hda3 is /www, the rest can't
be mounted. I remember roughly how big each was but not the order.

And worst yet, I have never manually created partitions ... I guess I
have to use fdsisk? If I use fdisk and guess wrong at a partition size,
location, will it mess anything up?

Thanks for the advice!

Jc