Re: [tlug] Suse 8.1 In-Hand

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:16:58AM +0900, A. Sajjad Zaidi wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 08:53:12PM -0500, Josh Glover wrote:
> >
> > ReiserFS is actually a great choice for a root partition, as it is great for
> > filesystems with many small files. Root partitions are known to contain things
> > like /etc, which on my relatively pristine system, contains about 7000 files
> > averaging about 350 bytes.
>
> I agree. All the partitions on my main system are XFS except for / and
> /usr (/usr/local is XFS) since both of their average file sizes are way
> below 100KB. It seems that XFS has the best performance for files over
> 100KB while ReiserFS is best for many smaller files. I wonder how ext3
> performs.

Very subjective opinion (no benchmarking of any sort).  On smaller
files, on a workstation with nothing special about it, I found reiser to
be faster--this was with Slackware, fairly similar installation of both
filesystems.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

 Buffy: What do you want?
Angel: The same thing you do.
Buffy: Okay. What do I want?
Angel: To kill 'em. To kill 'em all.
Buffy: Sorry, that's incorrect. But, you do get this watch and a
year's supply of turtle wax. What I want is to be left alone.