[tlug] OpenOffice.org/MS-Word

Re:
"One should remember that new versions of MS-Office often have problems with
documents created in earlier versions (->Access).  The worst case is people with
different versions working on the same document ... "

Precisely!  The company I'm working at (not for much longer) has mind-bogglingly
consistent problems with the formatting of MS-Word files ("Change the process!" I
have repeatedly requested... in vain).  I've found that the fastest way to deal
with most of the formatting problems is to get a printed copy off of whoever sent
me the e-mail, open the electronic file, immediately save it as a .txt file to
obliterate the junk, open it back up with a text editor and then reconstruct it
with clean formatting.

Re:
A: "Now I can write something on a Linux box (with OpOf) utilizing different
fonts, formatting, etc., save it to a floppy, pop the floppy into a MicroMuck
box, and just open it
up to continue..."

B: "I take it these are very simple documents?"

Yes and no.  They are not bogged down with a lot of oddball formatting, but also
I'm talking about saving things in the native OpenOffice format, and opening the
file on both ends with OpenOffice - so MicroMuck doesn't enter the picture at all

LHS