Re: [tlug] UTF-8 for single-byte character sets

Sorry, I lost the headers.

>> Meaning you can read and write French and Japanese in one and the
>> same
>> message, and when you reply it doesn't make entire lines disappear
>> from
>> the quoted section?
> That I can't tell. I did say that it *understands* unicode, meaning
> that an
> e-mail written in unicode is displayed correctly.
It can display email written in unicode because it converts unicode to
the current locale (afaik). It can't display japanese and accented
chars at the same time.
I just tried 0.8.9claws31-1.  Eg, the Nihongo below will show up
correctly if sylpheed-claws is started with ja_JP.eucjp and the
encoding is set to Japanese, but the accented chars won't, even if you
change to central-european or western. I had to restart in a non-jp
locale to get the accented chars displayed properly, but then the
Japanese is just mojibake. If anyone can display the stuff below
properly, then I'm all ears.

> I have not yet had the chance to see a mixture of, say, French and
> Japanese
> in a mail,
Here it is. This mail is UTF-8, composed with balsa 2.0 which handles
it just fine. Nerdscape 4.7 can  properly display it also (that's why I
still use it)

Japanese: 日本語
accented characters: ÁáÓóÖöÕõÉéÚúÜüÛûÍí
euro: €