Re: [tlug] Interesting info on Korean spam (OT)

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:54:59 +0900, Guy W <gpw@example.com> wrote to
tlug@example.com:

> Not wanting to get into an OT discussion, but labelling Korean ISPs as
> spammers seems strange to me.

I beg to differ - as long as the labelling is done after the fact.

I maintain a list of locally blocked netblocks, and a netblock only becomes
listed *after* I've been spammed by someone in that netblock. The largest
number of such netblocks in my lists is in Korea, then China and Brazil.

I'm afraid about 95% of the spam I get *does* come from these localities.

> Reminds me of when I visited Internet cafes in China last year.  All
> access to .jp domain websites had been blocked (=blacklisted as porn).

That reaction on behalf of the government is rather OTT. Then again, there
is a big difference between blocking access *TO* a TLD and blocking access
*FROM* a netblock. In the first instance, users are being prevented from
getting something they want. In the second instance, users are being
protected from something they *don't* want.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com
                  gstewart@example.com

GnuPG key  : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4  0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.