Re: [tlug] /etc/host setup

Thanks for the suggestions so far (still looking for a solution).

>> From: bruno raoult <br@example.com>
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 is not your address... This is only the loopback @, and
>> you should keep is as it was. Probably something like:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1       localhost
>>
>> Never change this one. This is Bad [tm]

Well, in RH it's initialized to "127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost"

>> You'd better check about "tin" configuration (that I don't know) instead
>> of changing system's settings...

Tin doesn't configure this one. (I guess I can rip into the tin source
and patch out the check...)

>> (Your ISP assigns you an IP which is (probably) different each time you
>> connect. This IP (if not static) cannot be in your /etc/hosts file.)

I know that.

>> From: David Eduardo Gomez Noguera <davidgn@example.com>
>>
>> If I remember well, the ppp-HOWTO had a few lines to add to some file so
>> that it automagically adds an entry to /etc/host on connection with your
>> assigned IP, and removes it when disconnected.

There isn't really an equivalent for ethernet (I'm on a cable modem). I
looked at using the start/stop cases in /etc/init.d/network, but that'd
be OK for setting it back to the default, but it's too early in the startup
to set it to anything special.

What I need is a script running with root privileges *after* X has
started.

>> From: simon colston <simon@example.com>
>>
>> I have something like this in my /etc/hosts.
>>
>> 127.0.0.1		frodo.foobar.com	frodo   localhost

Affectively that's what I have too.

>> Most services look for 'localhost' on startup and work fine. My console
>> login comes up:
>>
>> Vine Linux 2.6
>> Kernel 2.xx
>>
>> frodo login:
>>
>> Is this closer to what you're looking for?

It's what I have now.

>> (I don't use tin BTW)

I suspect it wouldn't work with /etc/hosts set that way. It doesn't with
mine, which is why I'm asking.

Cheers

JIm

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298