Re: [tlug] /etc/host setup

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:19:42 +1100 (EST)
Jim Breen <jwb@example.com> wrote:

> I need some advice (again) on setting up my /etc/host file.
>
> so in /etc/host I have something like:
>
> 	127.0.0.1               frodo
>
> As a result, my X login, xterms, etc. are all identified as "frodo".
> This is what I like.
>
> HOWEVER, tin won't let me post any messages, as it requires a valid,
> fully-qualified host-name (other than localhost.localdomain). I can fool
> it by changing it to frodo.foobar.com, but if I try and start up Linux
> that way all sorts of services fall over because they can't resolve
> frodo.foobar.com.
>
> Any thoughts on how I can get around this?

I have something like this in my /etc/hosts.

127.0.0.1		frodo.foobar.com	frodo   localhost

Most services look for 'localhost' on startup and work fine. My console
login comes up:

Vine Linux 2.6
Kernel 2.xx

frodo login:

Is this closer to what you're looking for?  (I don't use tin BTW)

--
simon colston
simon@example.com