[tlug] Global Deleting with Wildcards

When I do backups in DOS using batch files, I usually start off the
script with a couple of lines like this, that clean out all of the various
temp files so that they are not included in the backup set.

del d:\docs\*.tmp /s
del d:\docs\temp.* /s
del c:\temp\~*.* /s
del c:\temp\*.*~ /s

I want to do the same sort of thing in Linux, but after struggling for a
couple of hours, have not been able to make anything work. I looked in "man
rm" and "info rm", but the explanation is too sketchy. I tried to use the -r
(recursive) switch for the DOS /s (subdirectory) switch, but apparently the
function of these two is different. Googling, the best I could turn up was

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/wildcards.html

but there is no explanation there as to how to do any of these commands with
subdirectories. Can anyone give me some orientation on this?

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@example.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary [http://www.acmuller.net]
H-Buddhism List Editor [http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~buddhism/]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787