[tlug] Yet another interesting distribution

Distro slut that I am, every so often I come across one that I like a
lot.  Recently I mentioned Yoper with the comment that it was probably
effective as an advocacy distro but probably not too interesting to
most of this list.

There's another relatively obscure one called Crux.  The fellow who
makes it says he's doing it more for his own amusement than anything
else.  The ISO is under 200 Megs. The installation isn't especially
tricky for the experienced, but it is aimed at the i686.

There's no dependency checking with the packages.  The thing runs
pretty quickly and, once I installed that vanilla kinput2 canna
tarball that Stuart Bouyer made for me (and Godwin showed me what I
did wrong with added configuration), downloaded rxvt and compiled it
with the --enable-xim and --enable-kanji options, it worked without
problem.

It's at
http://www.crux.nu

If you do give it a try, be sure to read the ports section, where he
explains how to get their ports for many extra applications.  Once the
base is installed (the base stuff is binary, so a pretty quick
installation) their version of ports will download the source and make
a package which you then add with their package management tool.

I like it because I've gotten lazy and spoiled from Gentoo and
FreeBSD's dependency checking.  It seems pretty stable, though I've
done nothing more than workstation stuff with it, and nothing that
would overly stress it.  It's not for the beginner, but it's not
horribly complex either.

Anyway, I'm having fun with it, so thought I'd give it a mention.  For
some reason, it feels reminiscent of Slackware, possibly because the
init scripts (BSD style) are so simple.

Hope that those who celebrate it had a wonderful holiday--to be a bit
Pollyanna-ish, it was Jonathan's first Christmas as a dad and Josh's
first as a husband.  Kind of neat

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6