Re: [tlug] Panasonic CF-27 PCMCIA problems

Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 06:29:12PM +0900, ccd wrote:
>
>> Yup. He slapped me, I switched to 2.4.5, and wow, no more PCMCIA
>> problems on my Toughbook.
>

> I'd slap him back for recommending a kernel so far out-of-date.
> Updating your kernel to fix the PCMCIA problem is one thing.
> Howerver, it should be noted that the 2.2 series is still widely
> regarded as more stable than the 2.4 series, so a slap for
> using it is certainly unjustified.  Many people have refused to
> move to 2.4 on their mission-critical systems because of the
> great stability of a mature 2.2 kernel and the lack of same in the 2.4
> tree, although recent 2.3 kernels). If you need the latest hardware
> support 2.4 may well be justified for a workstation, of course, but
> it's hard to imagine a "guru" recommending 2.4.5 :-P
>
> Jonathan

my guru is a bad, bad, bad, bad man. o_O I knew this already though :D
And yes, it's a workstation. We're talking about the Panasonic Toughbook
series of laptops here, not about desktops like in the other thread ;)

Desktops? DESKTOPS? We dun need no stink'n desktops.

Christian