Re: [tlug] Pasokon Koubou

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 06:13 pm, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 04:17:54PM +0900, Eric O. Flores wrote:
> > my advice to you is to build you system from scratch.
>
> Strongly seconded.  It's not only a good education, but it ensures
> you are getting a PC made of standard parts that are easily upgradeable
> at any time.

Well!  Let's see.

I'll tell you how I put my pc together from off the shelf components.  While I
adviced to review the HCL, frankly I quite didn't followed it at all.

I got me an Aopen motherboard AX3S PRO-U, One CPU intel 800Mhz, one Corega
FEther PCI-TXM network adapter, one 52x CD-ROM don't know what brand but it
works, one Atapi/E-IDE CD-RW, one ATI rage video card , one floppy drive, the
mouse and keyboard, two maxtor ide drive.   I am using the Aopen AW-744 sound
card quite good but needs a bit of work on the side.  The case anything that
will fit the motherboard.

Got home jammed everything into the case., then loaded Mandrake into one hard
drive and redhat into another.  I use a removable cartridge system that
allows me to switch hard disk when ever I feel like it, that is once the pc
is turned off!

This was one year ago I am sure that there are better components now.
yes other components do work and may not work but if you do your home work
well you'll endup with a nice linux box.   The case here is to build a pc
that will out perform the generic brand name system being sold today at a
cost that will break your pocket when in fact you are getting nothing else
but a generic system.

There are many choices out there you just buy what you feel will do for you
based on your budget and or liking, if I may say.