Re: [tlug] Panasonic CF-27 PCMCIA problems

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 11:12:01PM +0000, Robert Gordon wrote:

>The CF-27 uses Richoh R/RL/RB/5C478(II), R5C522 or Compatible CardBus Controller, and I am currently using RedHat
>7.3.

I don't have any help, but I can sympathize.

Some cardbus controllers just plain don't work.  When I lived in Japan,
I had a company notebook machine, an older Toshiba Satellite with
a Celeron 300 and a cardbus controller (no longer recall what model).
I wanted to dual-boot Linux on it, but my experience was very similar
to yours - on any distro, it would hang during bootup when it came
to the PCMCIA controller, even if there was no card in a slot at the
time.  It exhibited this behavior even with the controller set to
ISA compatibility mode, and nothing helped.  I got the farthest with
Mandrake 8.2, which would at least install but wouldn't work thereafter.
Debian and Red Hat wouldn't even install.  Neither would FreeBSD.

A couple years back, cardbus support was still pretty experimental.
I'm not sure how far it's progressed since then.

Jonathan
--
GPG key: DF12B4EF (5399 C834 3ABB C3AF 610C  5345 D5D6 E6EA DF12 B4EF)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys  DF12B4EF